Saturday, September 20, 2014

you missed it...

... if you did not put on your costume and look/talk like a pirate on Friday. Somehow September 19 has been designated as 'Talk Like A Pirate Day'. So the peak opportunity of the year to go around saying 'Arggghhh', and 'Ahoy Matey,' is over for another twelve months. You might want to put a sticky note on December as a reminder, so you can mark your 2015 calendar accordingly and start planning your outfit.

Because if you do find the gumption to actually dress like a pirate well as practice your salty language, you can go to Krispy Kreme and be rewarded: not with gold dubloons and bounty from the high seas, but a dozen fresh glazed donuts.I know this because a close associate sent me an email outlining the items one must be wearing to 'qualify' as a pirate: including hook, or peg-leg, or parrot on one's shoulder. I thought about it, pondered on it, but decided my lack of interest in all things donut-y outweighed my desire to put on a show for the KK employees.

Which means I did not even mumble anything pirate-like all day. I did sweep and mop, so my kitchen floor is actually clean enough to eat off, but I was able to resist the temptation to put on my eye patch and bandana and hoop earrings and go to the donut store. It would have probably been amusing to sit out in the parking lot and view the assortment of customers- sort of like sitting on the front porch on October 31st see all the kids, dressed and painted, in their costumes.

I went to the church late in the afternoon, to make a delivery and was telling the receptionist that we missed it, and she said one of the staffers did go. He dressed up, took a small child also appropriately attired and a second youngster with feathers in her hair. As it turned out, he picked up the smallest one, the one with feathers bobby-pinned to her hair and clipped onto her clothing, and put her on his shoulders, taught her how to say, in an ear splitting tone: AWWWWkkkk. She was the parrot!

No comments:

Post a Comment