Friday, September 19, 2014

more about Dorothy....


... a funny story to go along with all the amusing tales I am sure were told at the wake/reception following the service this afternoon. I did not stay for the food and drinks, but judging by the friends and family stories I heard at the memorial service, I am sure there was plenty of laughter. Some of which was enhanced/lubricated by the wine and beer Dorothy had requested to go along with the food. Reminding me how it is so often true that the person who would most enjoy that sort of gathering, isn't there. The one person that would be at the very center of the Venn Diagram, where all the elements had something in common - is missing the part/party they would have loved to attend.

I'd seen Dorothy shopping often enough to know she enjoyed an occasional cold beer late in the day. I too am of the opinion that It's Five O'clock Somewhere, and having a toddy from time to time never hurt anyone who would observe moderation in all things. But knowing Dorothy's liking for a cold brew: I smuggled in two cans when she was in hospice back in the spring.

I'd run into her daughter when I was volunteering at the Botanical Gardens Spring Plant Sale one bright sunny spring day. Who told me that Dorothy had been admitted to hospice for several days to try to get over pneumonia that she was struggling with, to be able to have an IV and constant drug drip. Hoping she could shake the problem and return home. I finished my shift at the plant sale, and stopped by the convenience store just down the street. Bought us two ice cold beers, which were put in brown paper bags. Making me look like a closet drinker, for sure.

Then drove over to the inpatient Hospice to check on Dorothy. Politely asked at the desk which room she was in. Found her and told her I had a present. She was in bed with an IV in her arm, but I thought:' so what?' And popped open both beers. She enjoyed hers, even though it was a Miller Lite and she had been a Yuengling drinker, and I drank mine. Bid her a good day/night and went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment