Sunday, September 21, 2014

a fruitless endeavor...



... occurred when I drove up to Callaway Gardens on Saturday afternoon. I had volunteered to 'assist' with Monarch butterfly tagging. But due to the fact that not the first Monarch appeared, the tagging did not. The one Day Center employee on duty who was the expert of the day gave me instruction, and turned me loose with a butterfly net. So you can imagine who looked 'not quite right' for several hours, walking around the blooming borders, waving a butterfly catcher.

There were lots of other insects flitting about: bees, and dragonflies and other varities of butterflies, but not one of the endangered Monarchs did I see. Some that looked remarkably similar, when in flight, with orange wings and black veining. But when they rested on a bloom, the closed wings/underside looked like a moth, wearing brown mottled camoflauge.

I had agreed to be there at 1 and stay till 4, but turned in my net about 3:45, saying I had already had all the fun I could stand with my search for something that simply was not there to be found. And decided to walk a bit, on a path I had never been on. Thinking of all those days with young children who loved to ride bikes. We would put three bicycles in the back of the pickup truck and make a trip to Harris County to whizz along the paved, well maintained, clean asphalt biking and walking trails.

The one I chose yesterday, a short distance from the Butterfly Center was not paved, but a gravel surface. Which I would consider somewhat risky. You know how rocks can roll right out from under you, and you simply loose control of your feet. That didn't happen, but walking on that trail made me thankful I had my phone in my pocket. I walked along the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Trail, which loops around a slough, part of the big lake where the Discovery Center/welcome area is located. And saw a log that had a dozen turtles on it, basking in the sun. I tried to take a photo, but was too far away for you to really see all those black shelled turtles stacked up on the log, snoozing in the afternoon sun. Walked on to the Discovery Center, drank some water, and back to my car. Passing lots of families, people out enjoying the day. Kids poking at things, moms pushing strollers, dads urging little people along.

It was a beautiful day. Clear bright blue skies, sunny, pleasant temperature - perfect for a walk in the woods. Making me thankful to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment