Saturday, September 6, 2014

early morning travels...

I got up early this morning. Because I get up early. Every morning. Regardless.

I got up early and loaded up my gear.(consisting  mostly of toothbrush and pills I take every day) in the car to drive to Decatur for the day. After a stop by Publix and a friend's house about 6 a.m., to leave brownies I cooked yesterday. A real cooking binge: two pans of brownies to give away, plus a meatloaf and squash casserole for dinner.

I got up early to drive to Decatur to spend the day. More on the reason later...

We've spent hours sitting in the floor sewing a braided rug back together.  It is a huge oval, measuring about twelve by eight feet. It was originally on the floor in my parent's house, and relocated to Decatur several years ago. I assume that over time the threads that hold the strips of braided fiber together just sort of decompose/wear out, as the braid itself seems to be pretty much intact, but there are a gazillion places where the stitching needs replacing. I went to the fabric store yesterday and bought some curved needles, and we got some dental floss this morning, and have been sewing the strips of braid that have come undone back together.

I have decided it is akin to the 'whack-a-mole' game, because the more you think you have accomplished, when you unroll more of the rug - it seems the more there is to do. Problematic places keep popping up elsewhere, just like the moles. The faster you whack 'em, the faster they pop up out of different holes!! Hopefully our estimation of being over half-done is accurate, otherwise it is likely that it is a project that has far more time investment than it is actually worth. Meaning we should have put it out by the street. And could have bought another less labor/effort than we have devoted to repairs. Especially when you get down to the point of figuring what time is worth per hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment