Monday, September 1, 2014

about HAL... part 2...

...that computer program designed to create the schedules for everyone at work. Arrggghhhh.

My nice, user-friendly, congenial department manager is still agreeable, allowing me to go to early church at 9:00 before I have to be at work at 11:00.  He has usually left work, headed for church, by the time I arrive. I was supposed to work from 11:00 till 7:30 Sunday afternoon. I have not done that in years, been on the job that late in the day: when I started, I knew to expect my schedule would be 10 a to 7 p, two days a week. But yesterday - since the HAL is scheduling me for so little time otherwise, I was determined to tough it out and be there for all the time I was allowed.

And the rest of the week is 'way crazy: going in at 6:00, leaving at 11:00, or 1:15. Some of which I secretly think hardly worth the effort, especially the part when I have to get up at 5:00 in order to be there ready to chop and dice at 6. But being at the weedy, over-grown, barely visible bottom of the  'totem pole' puts me in the position of feeling like I am not authorized to express an opinion. I am convinced if I am vocal about my annoyance of such rotten scheduling: the walls have ears, and my working hours will become so negligible as to be virtually invisible.

So I will make my best effort to keep my mouth shut, stay below the radar, and see how things progress. It's completely out of character for me: keeping my mouth shut. Hopefully I will be able to remind myself: be thankful for what you have. Bite your tongue and count your blessings. Be grateful you are employed and self-supporting. Give thanks that you can pay those bills when they come. Remember that the benefit of being marginally employed is all the free time you enjoy. Have Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment