Friday, September 19, 2014

there are several...

...people in my life who I would consider to be 'friendly' acquaintances. Not sure there is a better description for these individuals, who came into my circle/life as a result of being customers in the workplace. They are mostly only seen when I am on the job, but always a delight to have a few minutes to chat with and catch up on family news, happenings in their lives.

There is one, Lee, who has known my family for many years, met the daughters when they were kids, swimming at the pool, pestering her for more  ketchup to dunk their French fries in. She never fails to ask after husband and daughters. She's been through a lot of health problems in recent years, and I am always pleased to see her. She will be pushing a cart through the produce department: that tells me she is doing pretty well, feeling good enough to walk through the store. Which is quite an undertaking for someone who struggles to breathe or just be mobile, walk around.

There is another, Velma, who has become a friend I enjoy having lunch with. She too came into my life by being a grocery shopper. Her husband died several years ago, and we have since been meeting for lunch on a number of occasions, just to enjoy good eats, talk about families and life. She struggles at times with mobility, has begun using a cane to help her remain stable when she walks. But always a pleasure to talk with on the phone when she calls, and a pleasant lunching companion.

A semi-friend who lives out in Talbot County, and comes in once a week with shopping list for herself and her mom, who is pretty much housebound, but lives close by. I've had lunch with her one time, and always enjoy stopping to check on her and family when I see her in the store. As we age, we begin to have assorted aches and pains. Her husband has had some health problems as well, but she is always smiling, cheerful, witty, charming to converse with, even though there are lots of things that could cause her to have a vastly different outlook.

Then there is Dorothy: in her mid-eighties. I think I have known her for at least ten years. She spent some years, as a senior citizen working at the GAP store in the mall - I think she was in her seventies then. Lively, active, gregarious, full of pep. A fascinating person to talk to. I once drove to Atlanta with her as a passenger to drop her off at the home of friends. I then went to my daughter's and went back to pick Dorothy up to bring her back home after a weekend of visiting. Dorothy told about growing up, and working as a life-guard on the shore of Lake Michigan as a teenager. She has a twin sister, who also did this type work. Dorothy had numerous melanomas removed during the years I knew her. She recently died - cancer that spread all over. And likely started during those years of exposure, before the advent/invention of chemical sunscreens we are so often cautioned to use in plentiful quantities. I am going to her funeral today. Her daughter told me that Dorothy had specifically requested a time of fellowship after the service where wine and beer would be served, so everyone could have a drink and enjoy reminiscing about that cheerful, up-beat, enthusiastic Dorothy

RIP, Dorothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment