Thursday, September 4, 2014

turtle rescue squad, hard at work...



I was leaving work this afternoon, about 1:30. Headed down Milgen Road to run by church and make a quick delivery. Which is less than two miles away, with one traffic light that might make the trip longer than five minutes. I was getting close to the light, passing an undeveloped area that is densely wooded due to being the edge of a city park. And saw a very large turtle turtling across the street.

Oddly enough, it was working it's way across the two lane road at a point where there is a bridge over a creek. But instead of taking a relaxed swim through the culvert, in the creek water - this amphibian was determinedly crossing the street. A dangerous effort. Until the Turtle Rescue Squad showed up in a  most timely manner.

Whereupon I veered off the street, into the entrance to a business, and put my car in park, along the edge of the street.  A white city-decaled pick up heading in the other direction stopped, and thankfully held up traffic for me to get out in the middle of the street. So I dashed halfway across to grab up the turtle as it was crossing the center line. It was nearly as big as a dinner plate. With a shell covered with green mossy stuff, so I know it lives in the water.

Helped it on across the road, and went down near the creek to put it down. The slope was really steep, with lots of junked, broken up concrete that made me fear it would get stuck in a dead end on the slope and not be able to get to the water. But I found a place on the verge, really weedy, but with access to the water. And put it down, where it immediately stuck it's little yellow-striped head out and proceeded to lumber on down the slope toward the creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment