Tuesday, August 13, 2013

first day of school....

I had my first day of  "back to school" today. When I found that I would not be doing my usual, working at Publix, I thought: hmmm... wonder if I could find a job doing a bit of substitute teaching? And oddlly enough, while I was just beginning to have that thought, my phone rang. Looking for a sub. teacher at a magnet school in the mid town area, so I took it. Thinking: magnet school - that should be a pretty good situation for spending the day. But:  a) I did not factor in that in reality it's still the first week of the new school year, since they started last Wednesday, and b)  It's apparently been so long since I have done that, I'd forgotten how much fun it is not.

I'm not certain what the difference between chaos and bedlam is, according to Webster - but I'd guess that the first week of school, especially in the lower grades, is likely a combination of the two. 'It'/the overall experience was mostly not a word that should be spoken aloud around small children. I had the teacher thank me profusely when I walked in the classroom at about 8:05, and again when we were getting their bookbags packed up to leave in the afternoon.

There was a little boy, cute, sweet, pinchable (though I was tempted, I did not, nor did I bring him home with me!) who was apparently in his first school experience. Period. He gave the impression of being so competely lost, I don't think he had ever been in a classroom. Anywhere. I can understand a mom not wanting to let one go, to put them in any sort of day care program if they can stay at home. But in this day of prepping for first grade, to not have a kid learn all that stuff they are expected to know before they get class assignments as a five year old, you are doing that little person a dis-service.

Sadly - you gotta put them in pre-school to get ready for pre-K, and put them in pre-K to get them ready for Kindergarten. By the time they are in K, they need to know their colors, shapes, letters, numbers, and should be able to recognize their printed names, even if they cannot actually write it. This sweet little guy was so out of his league- he didn't know what it meant to go stand in line, and had a really hard time with sitting in a chair.

There were some of the little boys who were apparently spring-loaded, and would pop up like 'whack-a-mole' as soon as your attention was diverted - which is mostly normal for that age.But when the others, who have been more influenced by civilization, see that behavior, and realize the teacher is practicing the 'ignore it and it will go away' theory of behavior management - it's not a fun place, and every one struggles.

But it's over, and I think I survived. I must have caught the 'crazy bug', as I gave the teacher my name and number. I also gave her an adult hug halfway through the day - as she looked like she was in desperate need. And told her she would possibly be bald if I had not shown up. She vehemently agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment