Wednesday, August 28, 2013

a quick trip south...

I've been to south GA, and back in the past twenty-four hours. Left home after work on Tuesday, and drove down to Q-town. Got there well after dark, fumbled around for my key, and went straight to bed. In a house, that, according to the thermostat was 83 degrees. But I turned on my little Dollar General fan, and fell into bed.

After a little bowl of oatmeal, I coated up with bug repellant (four days too late) and started on several hours of yard work. Stopped to visit with a seldom seen neighbor. Cleaned up quite a bit of tree trash, and got sufficiently hot to feel like I'd done a good day's work. No bush-whacking, but a lot of weed spraying and limb cleaning up. Remembering how my dad would pay my daughters a penny a piece to pick up pine cones that were continually falling from all the trees in the front yard. If I am remembering correctly, they quickly lost interest in the money making project, as soon as they had enough to go to the store for some small, lusted-for trinket or candy. I'm wishing someone had been willing to pay me a penny per pine cone today - I'd be rolling in copper. An annoyance to roll, and hardly seems worth the effort when a roll of copper is only worth fifty cents. But exchanged for Real Money, it eventually adds up.

Amazingly, when I am there, out in mosquito land, in the brushy areas that should be completely infested with all manner of bugs, I have yet to get any bites. I always take the precaution of putting Avon SOS on my arms, legs, back of neck, but am still surprised that I have not had anything 'surprise' me. Have yet to encounter Mr. No-Shoulders, or anything that makes me suddenly, startlingly, unexpectedly, completely quit working for the rest of the day. Even with my apparently magnetically attractive self that seems to be an environment where creepy crawly things thrive on digging into my skin and having a nice nourishing sip of my all-American, healthy red blood.

Went to Lowndes County, had a nice visit with K. and L., who live in Ousley. And got back home at approximately the same time I left town yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment