Saturday, June 16, 2018

laughed out loud...



...while driving last week, on my trip to FL, and again on Wednesday. When I was traveling across south Georgia and twirling the buttons on the radio looking for some decent radio stations. This one broadcast from some place in the wilds of south GA was playing decent music, but kept inserting commercial advertising. Public radio is bad enough, always asking you to donate your car or support their programming. I can ignore the pleas from NPR pretty well, but the stuff on commercial radio is so loud and insistent, it is hard to tolerate, so I am constantly twisting the button to find music instead of yakking.

This one station sending out a signal from some town in the southwestern part of the state had a commercial with a man shouting about 'green eggs and hams, green eggs and hams.' After I heard it a couple of times, I realized he was advertising for a Dodge dealership and what he was actually saying was 'green eggs and Rams'. They were having a big sale on trucks, and if you buy a Dodge Ram pickup truck, the dealership will throw in a Big Green Egg outdoor grill/cooker as a bonus. I laughed and laughed.

Even wrote it down while driving, which made it nearly indecipherable to read when I tried to figure out what the note was about. But I heard it again last Wednesday, as I apparently got in range of that same radio frequency. The man was still shouting about his truck sale and promise of a barbecue if you come in and get a pickup. At the end of the script there is something about 'could-you-would-you... which made me laugh all over again. As would any parent who has read those Dr. Suess books so many times lulling children to sleep it became embedded in the brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment