Monday, June 11, 2018

it fits...

... as a sadly accurate description of my inability to make demands of other people. I choose to place the blame for failure to have gumption on being raised to be Southern, polite, well-mannered and cautious when conversing with anyone who might be easily offended. Readily acknowledge that I am hopelessly unassertive. Have virtually no ability to stand my ground, tend to bend when pushed rather than stand up ramrod straight and hold my ground.

Which made the short quote I recently read so memorable as well as accurate. Though I failed to make a note of the source, cannot tell which book it came from, it was so spot-on, I wrote it down to be able to quote it again. Probably took notes while driving, making the words really difficult to decipher when they got 'cold' and I found the note days later in the floor of my car.

This is the thing that 'fits' even though you would want to substitute a female pronoun for the one you read here: "He avoids confrontation like it is an art form. He is not just a fence sitter, he is able to disappear at decision time." I am pretty sure I do not actually vanish like the Cheshire Cat in the Alice story, but know I will make myself really scarce, in order to avoid saying things other people don't want to hear. :(

I have no hesitation to tell people about my math disability, reconciled to being impaired. But include the conviction that we are all 'differently gifted'. And know I have other commendable skills/talents that more than make up for being so this small unwanted personality glitch. So I suppose I might as well go ahead and make myself content with this 'fence sitting' posture as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment