Sunday, June 3, 2018

it's pretty obvious...

... that I am not really related to The Man Who Lives Here. He is not as compulsive as he once was about going to the post office every single day to check in his box for bills that need attention. When he would receive something that required payment for service rendered, there was a compelling necessity that he would write a check and get it in the mail before the end of the day. I can't explain it. Do not understand why it could not simmer for a week, when anyone who works in accounts receivable will confirm 'you have thirty days to get the payment in'.

There was some desperate sense of urgency about getting that check written and in the mail before bedtime. We have all heard tales of little kids with a nickle in their pockets being itchy to get to the candy store and spend every red cent possible. The Man Who Lives Here has historically been just as 'itchy' to get checks written and bills squared away at the earliest possible minute after opening his post office box.

That's definitely not me. I left town last Sunday afternoon, and got back four days later on Wednesday. The mail piled up for an entire week. Just today, when I returned from a long nine-and-two-thirds hours work day,  (after I plopped down in the couch and took a nap!) I am finally opening mail accumulated from the past week. Looking at all the bills that want someone's attention. Fortunately most belong to my auntie, so the funds will come out of her checkbook instead of mine!

Between offers of zero interest for eighteen months on a sparkling new credit card, to businesses urging her to get her hearing tested and take $500 off on hearing aids, she gets much more mail at my address than I do. If it is bills she needs to pay, that suits me perfectly. Home insurance, property taxes, mow-and-blow guy, accoutrements of the American Dream. Sadly, most of this stuff she no longer can enjoy, as a result of relocating to assisted living. But all still need attention and make demands on the (math-impaired) person who was appointed to  mind her business for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment