Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Saturday in the park, I think it was the Fourth of July...

...people laughing, people dancing.... a man selling ice cream, singing Italian songs". Remember that one? I'll bet you even know the tune, now that I have supplied the words! By Chicago. But don't even begin to think my brain could actually recall who sang it forty plus years ago... I looked it up on Google: ain't the Internet amazin'?

I've been to the 'park' again today: another volunteer project at Callaway Gardens. I'd signed on weeks ago to be a worker bee, helping with a basket workshop. Long before I had any inkling that the guys at the produce department would be calling asking 'did I want to work on Saturday?' After I sent an email to the Educ. Dept. at CG, to tell them I would want to be a helper for this, I also put myself in the computer on the calendar at work, 'requesting time away'. To avoid inadvertently/accidentally finding myself scheduled to work today. And: it happened anyway. :(

I got a call yesterday afternoon from the store, wanting me to come in and put out a big load of freight for floral dept. that had come from the warehouse on Friday. Which means they did not want to do it, and would rather ask me to do it on a day I had requested to be off, than put any effort into taking responsibility. So I agreed, and went in at 5 a.m., to do as much as I could before I had to be at the Gardens for the 9 a.m. class. When I wrote that email to the Educ. Dept, I said I'd be there by 8:30, to greet the people who had signed up to attend. And though I was driving a wee bit too fast along highway 27, when the traffic flow and highway permitted, I knew that getting there in ten minutes was beyond the realm of possibility without the starship teleporter.

It was 8:20 before I left work, and shorty after 9:00 before I got there. I felt pretty badly about being late. Which means I did not have the presumptuous courage to take any photos of the basket-weaving class. So you won't see the six people who had signed up to take it here. But they all made some really neat looking baskets. The class info. indicated the hours would be from 9 until 1, and it took them all nearly that long, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I guess they had a touch of OCD, folk who felt compelled to have everything just perfect, in absolute alignment. I'd probably have been done by 11:00. Come on folks, honestly: it's only basket weaving!

I've made baskets before, but  nothing as involved as the ones I observed today. They were designed to hang someplace, with a neatly turned wooden handle, and have mail deposited inside. Using colored strips of some type reed, rather than wood splints as I have seen and used in the past. I was quite impressed, they really turned out well, looking remarkably similar to the one the instructor had brought to show what the finished product would/should look like. Although each one was unique, due to color choices, and individual skills, they really turned out beautifully. I am sure the participants are delighted with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment