Thursday, October 3, 2013

life-saving...

I'm sure I have written about this at least one time before now, but here I am again, singing the same song, maybe a different verse. I went this afternoon, following five hours of being on my feets, to the Red Cross Blood Donor Center. It was time - a week ago, actually, but it has taken me several days to get myself there... taking extra iron tabs all the while to avoid being rejected.

The hemoglobin count was ok, and the blood takers were ready and willing. I generally offer both arms, and most techs will take the right that they say has a better vein. But, for probably the second or third time every, the tech. who poked me could not get the red stuff to come out of the needle.  So she called a co-worker, who painfully wiggled the large-bore needle a time or two, and said 'you'll have to take that out' to the technician. I always tell them: 'I do not mind at all donating, but expect them to get it right on the first try, as I am unwilling to be a pin-cushion.'

She asked if I wanted to let them try the other (left) arm. Which I did, and had little pain, and good success.I think I have been donating for so long, there is so much scar-tissue on that one vein that is really raised, a good target, that it is actually difficult to get the needle in fully to make a good 'hit'. Which means they end up wiggling it around, in an extremely misery-inducing manner to try to get the flow started. Success at last, in the left arm.

I have been donating for so long: according to my record keeping (and you know how I am with numbers!), this pint is #123. Lemme see here...  eight pints in a gallon right? so divide 123 by 8 = 15.37 gallons! That's a lot of drips! Somewhat distressing to know that the ARC sells the blood to hospitals - but still - I've got plenty and there is always someone in need. And here's another thing to be thankful for, just in case you run out of blessings to count: not being so desperate that we don't have to sell blood or plasma for income...

My reward was a visit to Burger King. As well as just 'doing good'.

No comments:

Post a Comment