Wednesday, October 3, 2018

this is what...

... they might have heard when I was trudging up the hill behind trying to keep up. I know I am not as fast as people half my age, but I will get there eventually. It just takes me a little longer, especially when the effort required involves steep inclines or numerous stairsteps. I will get there under my own steam, just not as quickly as we would all like for it to happen.

What I was saying, over and over, my own personal mantra: "keep up,walk faster, don't get left", to help me speed up as necessary. I know they would not have left me there in a foreign country with a suitcase full of dirty clothing. It was most assuredly very frustrating for them at times when I was lagging behind. Occasionally stopping to look in a window, or observe nature, or take a photo for the blog. But often, just not moving fast enough, especially in the city when crossing the street at a light.

I will attribute part of the problem to my bad knee, the one with the brace that always gets special attention from the TSA crew at the airport. There is a metal piece on the side, large enough to set off alarms, alert those responsible for our air safety. I try to put the brace on the outside of my pants, to be able to remove it for an extra trip through the x-ray machine. They will always ask: 'Can  you take it off?' That usually makes the enforcers happy.

When asked about it, if anyone should casually inquire about my disability, I usually' respond: my knees seem to be older than the rest of my body'. I've expected for years this joint would be the first one to fail me as my dad had knee replacement surgery three times (one of the surgeries was not successful and had to be re-done). I assumed there would be a genetic predisposition to problems, and not much surprised that I have begun to have trouble with leg joints. We were designed to wear out, not intended to be immortal with organs, joints, parts that last indefinitely. I accept that as part of life and living here on this planet. Just have to occasionally remind myself to add a little more juice, and catch up before they turn the corner and disappear: KeepUpWalkFasterDon'tGetLeft.

No comments:

Post a Comment