Tuesday, October 16, 2018

swamped...

... at work today. No one thought to mention it was a 'made up holiday', something dreamed up by Hallmark Cards as a way to get people to run to the store and make a purchase to send greetings and salutations to special people. There is: President's Day, Nurses' Day, Firefighters' Day, Teacher Appreciation Week, Grandparents' Day, Administrative Assistant Day. You probably did not read the fine print at the bottom of the square on the calendar, or you would already know that it is: Boss's Day. Yay for all the people who make the big money and have the sign on their door that says 'The Buck Stops Here', just like Harry Truman.

I am almost certain Hallmark did not overlook it, and there were dozens of choices on the far side of the store where the card selections are located. But no one on my side of the store, where the balloons and flowers are, thought to mention that I would spend about eighty percent of my day filling helium balloons and putting together flower arrangements for people who love their boss. Along with at least half a dozen baskets people ordered to pick up right now filled with fresh fruit and candy, wrapped in cellophane and tied with a big fluffy bow.

It was a busy day, traipsing from the front of the store to the back, over and over. Waiting on customers and feeling like I was getting nothing at all accomplished towards my assignment of making salads. Now that I can sit down, rest my weary feets, and think of all that I did get accomplished, I know it was productive. But sort of like living in a house full of children where you never have a sense of finishing anything you start - you keep plodding away, but feel like you have been swimming against the tide, or walking in quicksand all day. Nothing to show for all your efforts at the end of the day, even though you know, your tired feets, aching back, mushy brain put in a long day on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment