Wednesday, October 10, 2018

book review: "Desolation Mountain"...

... by W. Kent Krueger. Published in 2018, so one of the most recent tales. I think I come close to reading them all - at least all the ones I have found in the local library. This one, like most of the others, was read/heard while driving as it was a set of Cds.  The last stop I made before heading out of town was to go to the library to find some entertainment for the road. I was pleased to find another of Krueger's books to keep me company while traveling.

The same characters: Cork O'Connor, retired as a sheriff of a small community, Aurora, in northern Minnesota, and his family who live in the house on Gooseberry Lane. Desolation is the name of a mountain on the nearby Chippewa reservation, and plays a part in the plot when a small airplane goes down under mysterious circumstances.  Cork's son Steven has been having 'visions' very vivid dreams that seem to portend dreadful events, and predicted the crash as Steven described an eagle being shot down by a young boy on the mountain, dropping an egg as it falls from the sky.

The entire nation is stunned by the crash as a Senator who was coming to visit the small town of Aurora was on board with her family. Various security forces from the government get involved, attempting to cover up the cause of the crash, while searching for flight recorder that disappeared as the airplane disintegrated. All those on board were killed, but these different entities seem to be working at odds, keeping closely held information from citizens and  media alike. Everybody suspects everybody!

I've read/listened to so many of Krueger's stories, the O'Conners feel like people I know. Krueger describes small details of their lives to make them seem so authentic, I've become aware of small quirks that follow the characters from book to book. I was surprised to find this talking book on the shelf, and hope to discover others I have yet to read, so this family can continue to draw me into their lives. Though the reading is light and easy, the stories are well written and characters believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment