Wednesday, October 24, 2018

inexplicable...

... is the only way to explain it. It just sort of happened. In the way I clearly remember my college roommate trying to justify bizarre behavior by saying: 'it seemed like a good idea at the time.' She was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but was so likeable her agreeable personality made up for a variety of other faults. Hopefully she found her niche in life and things have worked out well for her.

This story is of the sort that I have always been seriously reluctant to share. I've never been one to willingly admit to doing dumb stuff, thinking if no one hears/knows about that foolish or hare-brained activity, it never happened. But as I get older, and seem to have honed the ability to laugh more; that skill also includes being willing to laugh at myself. I know it was crazy, but it is history now, so there is no point in telling me that was not smart or healthy or sane. The most amazing part to me is that I did not hesitate, once I had decided...

I spent the night in my car. I could not find the key to the house when I finally arrived at my auntie's house. Stopped at the assisted living facility to leave a paper for the staff, and decided to take advantage of the internet, so I sat a while and typed. When I left there, and drove on into town, I discovered the key was missing. It was late, and I was tired after having a busy day: up at 5 a.m., at work from six until two, then driving for three hours. It was much too late to be calling people inviting myself to be an overnight guest. I had everything necessary with me (except a bed and bathroom), so I just pulled the covers over my head, reclined the seat and went to sleep.

I knew to expect I'd have to get up in the middle of the night as usual, and I did. But went back to sleep for several hours. The lost/missing key problem is semi-resolved as I will meet the auction people shortly to get the key I gave when we signed the contract. I can go and get a copy (or two) made and be back on track. Just lost several hours when I could have been productive - but that's life...


No comments:

Post a Comment