Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trudging up the mountain....

I know I am the one who kept saying (possibly in an effort to convince myself?) that I was sure I would not have any problem at all walking eight miles in a day. And I do believe that. But... here's the thing: I was not at all 'prepared'.  Thinking about the Army guys I see walking down the roads around here with huge fifty or eighty pound packs strapped to their backs, trying to get themselves in shape for PT events and twenty mile forced marches, I'd think: they are crazy. Out in the blistering heat, wearing shorts, desert boots, T-Shirts and huge backpacks loaded with a full compliment of military gear: makes me want to go lay down just thinking about it.

It is pretty obvious I did not do the kind of 'practicing' that would have made the trip far less exhausting. Before I even got back to the flat-lands, I realized I should have been doing my miles each day, as I was getting ready in the 90+ degree heat, with at minimum a gallon of water on my back. The crazy person was the one who was out there mosey-ing along with a little CD player and earplugs for baggage, listening to talking books. Looking back, that was no better preparation than sitting in a sand chair with my toes in the water, enjoying cool ocean breezes.

I was probably traveling lighter than anyone else in my group, and still; there were times when I thought I would have to just put it down, leave it along the trail, or toss it over the edge. It was exhausting... though I do not really think that it would have been much easier without the weight of a pack. All I had was clothing, peanut butter sandwiches, granola bars and two bottles of water. Probably about fifteen pounds - not all that heavy... when you think that a gallon of water weighs in at eight pounds, and 2 x 8 =16, which is what some hauled up the mountain, plus clothing, food, etc.

And speaking of 'tossing things over the edge': a lot of the trail was Very Close to the Edge. VERY Close. As the incline of the mountain got steeper, the trail naturally got steeper (this is that 'strenuous' part), and there was a short section that was bare rock, where the trail was so covered with loose shale, the park service had installed a series of eye-hooks with a cable running across the rock face for hikers to use as a hand hold. I was told some of the other (steeper=more strenuous) trails have long sections of this. Bare rock, and long stretches of cable that you hold onto to keep from taking a nose-dive. The only time I did not have my hiking poles in both hands to help maintain balance/stability was this place where I was holding onto the cable, taking short steps and breath prayers.

We left the parking lot to start up about 11:00 a.m., and got to the top a little after 6:00. So we averaged barely better than a mile an hour before we got to the top, and were able to find the blessed relief of the Mt. LeConte Lodge. Which was not actually a lodge, but a dining hall and cabins. After all I had been through to get there, I was somehow expecting something a little more rewarding. But then again... after all I had been through to get there, I was thankful for the fact of getting there.


No comments:

Post a Comment