Monday, August 13, 2012

so this is... day 3, part 2

 (Read this as if it were written on Sunday instead of Monday - which is when I finally got to a computer to continue the ongoing tale of being cooped up in a so-so small space with some who is apparently so highly opinionated that even if he could actually hear my suggestions or driving instructions, he would consistently disregard...)

We left Runnymede, NJ, departing from the slightly shabby, semi-run down, (but with reasonable rates and plentiful complimentary breakfast) to get back on the NJ turnpike and head north. I did not have a good state map, but north we went. Apparently the state does not like to share that information with anyone passing through. I asked three different places trying to find a good, folding, official map - and everyone wanted to send me to some place I had already asked... so we got going (me with quite a bit of trepidation, after I discovered the atlas I was using was printed in another century.)

Soon passing a big billboard posted along the right-of-way that was the first advertisement I have ever seen for condom use. "The sleek, discreet way to travel!" A little off putting, but possibly more effective than the ones I have seen in GA, state sponsored, some DHR program like Right from the Start. Ga thinks that the way to go is to remind young people that the best way to success is: wait till 25 to get married, get a good education and, oh, by the way: don't have kids first!

There were several large hills I noticed as we were coming along, up through the country side, that I finally concluded had to be unused landfills. The huge piles of dirt were so smooth, geometrically perfect, they had to be man-made. And covered with grasses and a few small shrubs, obviously deliberately planted and meticulously maintained. I noticed inclined roads up to the summit, at an angle that would make walking, hiking, biking easy, and thought it odd that they were often undeveloped. They were so close to the interstate, and populated areas, it was obvious that they were deliberately placed. Then I saw some that had vent pipes at regular intervals, and decided the pipes were there to help vent off gases as the garbage underground slowly decomposed. I can see that the location would be great for a variety of outdoor activities, but something kinda icky about being sporting on a huge pile of garbage leaves me feeling a little uneasy, kinda squeamish.

We probably went about 100 miles before we could begin to see the NYC skyline. Kinda neat, to look out over the marshes, water, undeveloped area near the highway and see some familiar looking buildings. The only thing I could identify for sure was the Empire State Building, with a distinctive silhouette. It was all so far distant that everything was kinda foggy, like coming over the hill, rounding the curve and seeing the Atlanta skyline from miles to the south. But uniquely NYC.

He got out of Jersey, after paying a $12 dollar toll to get off the (road built by taxpayer, ie: Me)  Interstate and turned towards New York City. One reason I was so desperate for big folding state-printed road maps is that I was hoping we would find some way to get from NJ to CT without going through NYC, or detouring through Michigan. But that was not to be... so we muddled our way through the city. I had commented earlier in the day as we were starting, that IF one Had to go through NYC probably the very best time to undertake such a daring adventure would be early on a Sunday morning, when the horrendous traffic you see occurring in movies and newscasts would be at it's least.

It was, considering my level of consternation due to anticipation, remarkably uneventful, pretty slow in places, but none of the chaos I expected (and will probably witness on the return trip, since according to my map, there is no other way to go south without veering over to the mid-west.)  There are few ways to get across the river that empties into the bay at the tip of Manhattan island: you either go over a bridge or through a tunnel. We chose bridge, as the navigator thought getting farther north before crossing over would be easier/less congested. When we got to the entrance of the George Washington Bridge, and had to pay a $12 toll, I told him he better enjoy the view as he went over: the ninety second trip across the river was the same price as the hundred mile drive up along the NJ turnpike.

No comments:

Post a Comment