Thursday, August 30, 2012

a day of ....nothing!

First day in recent memory that I have (practically) nothing on my calendar. Meeting a friend for lunch, but really nothing else of any note. I have been working the past six days at my little jobette. And know that six days straight does not much sound like 'jobette'. But the usual schedule for me is more like what I will be doing next week: a total of ten hours, divided over two days. Enough to keep those deductions that eat up weekly pay from piling up, as they would do if I had a couple of weeks of not being on the schedule. And truthfully, I am not really opposed to just having four or five hours a day: getting to the point that being on my feets for a full eight hour shift is exhausting, mentally and physically. When it is so tiring that you feel like all you do, have the energy for, is going to work, going to bed, going to work, etc., it's obvious that you've come to the point that some change is in order.

I mentioned to my previous produce manager-boss that I thought being scheduled to come in for four hours of work was almost not worth taking my pajamas off. Then pointlessly wondering if it would be o.k. for me to come to work in my pj's as many of the customers seem to think perfectly appropriate. He just laughed, being old enough to be in agreement that many people go out in public in things that should be restricted to the privacy of one's bedroom.

When I recently spent several hours with a cousin, I asked if she thought that we were the last generation tot think it unacceptable to walk around with one's underwear exposed. She thought that we must be dinosaurs in that aspect, as the general public apparently enjoys showing the world how many different colors of foundation garments they have to readily display. Most people of my age, with whom I might discuss this sorry state of affairs, are in agreement that the 'beginning of the end' was Madonna, getting up on the stage at concerts, wearing her underwear as outerwear. She somehow single-handedly announced, by her unconventional attire, that wearing foundation garments as performance costumes was acceptable - and I suspect we have been going downhill since that first outrageous performance. And then came the rappers making another 'fashion statement' with their undershorts hanging out when they put on pants that are four sizes too large. Honestly: not something I want to see.

And I've heard that it is nearly impossible to go in a clothing store and find ladies slips, to wear under dressed and skirts. Sad to say, I have done nothing to support the Slip Industry in the past fifteen years, as I cannot remember buying or wearing one in recent memory. And the only time I actually put one on in the past ten years was the one day I went to church in Mexico, when I was informed it was not acceptable in that culture for women to go to services in pants.

I think I will go for a walk, get myself back in the habit of walking every day.... want to go along?

No comments:

Post a Comment