Friday, August 24, 2012

I will and I won't...

I will agree to let the dog stay at  my house for a few days. I won't agree to call her my 'grand-dog'.

I know she tolerates a lot of people fairly well, but I also know that she has no love, respect, regard for anyone besides her man. So she will put up with us for several days, only because she does not have legs that are long enough for her to reach the door knob, or opposable thumbs that would allow her to make a slick escape. Otherwise she would be hot on his trail the moment she realized that he was going to FL without her.

She has been fairly patient with me, but I know she is only biding her time, waiting for the opportunity to sneak out when someone leaves a crack for her to slither out of - and she will be off and away faster than you can blink.  I take her out in the yard to do her business, and she sniffs around the perimeter of the fence, checking to be sure nothing has changed since the last time she was out there and sniffed around. And probably looking for that weak spot where she could make her getaway if she had a chance. Caught her yesterday rolling around in the grass in the middle of the yard, just enjoying being a dog, but looking a bit sheepish when she realized I saw her gloriously enjoying a good tumble in the fresh air.

While she has been ready to be rescued since they left her here on Wednesday morning, she spends a lot of her time lying on the futon, with her head on the pillow that smells like her man, long nose firmly planted right there in the middle where the best man aroma is - waiting and waiting....

This is the dog that sheds so much, I feel like I should take up knitting when she leaves: I run the vacuum and get up enough Gwen-hair to make a spare dog. Not that I want another one, but if someone needed  a duplicate extra, there will be plenty of hair to re-create the original in my vacuum when she is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment