Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 8: Finally back in my own little nest...

We took half of the team to the airport in Richmond, put them out about 10:00, and started towards GA. I was trying to figure in my head how long it would take. Remembering several trips to the District in recent years, I thought: We should be able to make it home before bedtime.  And we did, but tired we were. Stopped in Greenville to visit my pen pal for about half an hour, and on to Lynch Road by 10:00 p.m.

I told the guy  long before we started the trip that I would not be doing any of the driving. He's been pretty plain about the fact that he does not like the way I drive: and I actually told him that was o.k. with me, because I did not like the way he drives either. (Not that I was keeping score, but I am pretty sure he did not use a turn signal to indicate lane changes the entire trip. I noticed him actually employing the device, designed to let drivers behind you know what is going on in your head, possibly as many as, but not over ten times in the week we were away.)

He asked when we stopped in SC, still four hours away from the house, if I would drive, saying that he was weary and his eyes were really tired. I agreed, which is apparently all he wanted, since he did the rest of the driving.

I do not want to drive that huge vehicle, though I am sure the safety ratings and the Driver think it is at least as durable as an armored Humvee. Especially with the chair that went every mile of the what? how many? maybe two thousand... on the lift on attached to the back of the SUV... but thankfully, it did not bounce off a single time, as the Driver was so anxious about happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment