Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sleeping right up there with the stars....

So we went to bed about 9:00. I knew I would be getting up in the middle of the night to pee. Right after I drank that second wonderful glass of water when we were eating, I thought: bad idea.

I went to sleep with my headlamp in my hand, to be ready when nature called me to go out in the dark, down the stony path to the facilities. That were surprisingly civilized, considering the rough nature of the environment. I guess the reason the toilets were kept locked is to keep non-paying guests out, as there was a large stacked-stone shelter for hikers just up the hill, a short way back along the trail, that was looking pretty full when we finally got to the top of the mountain.

So when I finally got to the tipping point with my overloaded bladder, I got up and bumped around the edges of the bed, squeezing through the narrow space between the four-poster and wall, to get to the other side of the room and out the door. (I usually get up about 2 in the morning, stagger down the hall, do my business and get back to sleep right away.) So my bladder woke me up about six times, before I finally decided to respond. With flashlight in hand, at about 5:30 I got out the cabin door, down the steps and across the flagstone path, in sight of the building with the four flush toilets in wee little 3 x5 rooms, when I realized I did not have a key. The call of nature was quite strong as was the effect of gravity. I pondered, thinking how dark it was there under the dense evergreens.... but then saw someone with a flashlight standing there in the dark.When I asked if they had a key? he said the door was open. I got there, barely.

Went back to bed. Got up again about 7:00, and dressed. We ate a big breakfast and got organized to head back down the mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment