Saturday, February 26, 2011

End of Feb... beginning of spring?

Just because we have had unbelieveably beautiful weather that makes everything burst forth in glorious bloom, don't think we are really done with wearing long-johns and wool sox: we have March to get through yet!

I had two sub. jobs this week, both in Kindergarten as a para. pro. Not so bad, as far as the experience goes - the teacher had everyone pretty well in hand. But the thing is: some of those kids seem to have already fallen through the cracks, and they are not even six years old, not in 'real' school classrooms. One of the little people I spent some time with on Friday was so far behind what the other kids in the classroom were doing, she could not even spell her own name. It is so heartwrenching to see them struggle, and wonder if they are not getting any support at home, where apparently there are not family members who take any time to read, converse, explain, reinforce anything that goes on in the school.

I know there are many reasons why kids can be struggling to meet minimum standards that are required for yearly promotions, including physicall problems like vision or hearing issues, as well as more subtle disabilities that require experts to diagnose. But when I see them struggling, or even worse, not struggling: already saying 'I can't', or 'I don't know how', it makes me so sad to see such a young child at her age already so far behind. And me wondering if there is anyone in her life willing to devote any time to making her feel confident and capable.

On a different, but similar note: I am going to start a little volunteer project on Monday that will go on for a couple of months. I will be going into a school on the south side of town, along with other volunteers, lined up for each day of the week. Working one-on-one with some first graders that are struggling with literacy skills. Helping them develop both abilities and confidence in their reading/language. With various and sundry 'breaks' for CSU and MCSC spring breaks, I guess it will go on until early May, though I thought it would be just Feb. and March. Kinda slow getting up enough volunteers to get started, so will apparently be doing this on Mondays until near the end of the school semester.

I know there are so many little people who do not get the encouragement/time/attention that it takes to make them literate, just little things like talking about what's on the cereal box at breakfast or street signs. I am looking forward to this little opportunity to have an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment