Tuesday, February 8, 2011

more of that substitute teaching?

I've had several days of sub. teaching in the past couple of weeks that have been really good experiences, and several that have been 'way far at the extreme other end of the spectrum: enough misery to make me question why I do it? Am not sure that I have figured out the answer to that... it's hard to say. Mostly because it's very difficult to know in advance what the day will be like. For instance: I have been in classes that I thought would be challenging, and found them to be well-behaved, well-run, easy to manage students. And have been in situations that I thought would be a breeze and found myself in the center of a tornado/hurricane/tsunami. It's impossible to predict.

One of the jobs I had last week gave me a chance to sit down and talk with a couple of other teachers while the kids were in a computer lab. They were discussing a cake another teacher had the kids stir up to cook, with plans to eat the finished product at the end of the school day. It sounded very intriguing, so I asked for the recipe. The houseguests made it today, and I took it to share with community group who were very impressed (but they will eat most anything, so I would not consider that crowd 'particular' or particularly 'discerning' in their tastes!)

CrockPot Chocolate Cake
1 box chocolate cake mis
8 oz. sour cream
1 pkg instant choc. pudding
1 cup choc. chips
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 cup water
Mix all ingredients together. Pour into lightly greased 5 quart crock pot. Cover. Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

It's understandably Very Rich, and very good served warm with vanilla ice cream(according to the group who ate half the cake.) I am pondering how to change enough ingredients to make it not chocolate, since I do not eat chocolate cake, but I did taste it, and it is more fudgey/brownie like than actual cake. But then again, if it is chocolate, that will keep me from hearing it calling my name.

I am also pondering giving up chocolate for Lent, so I need to go ahead and eat up everything around here that would be a temptation during the forty days I don't want to be 'lead astray'.

I was at Publix today, and will be there through next Monday, so you won't be reading about any more horror stories from the school district here for the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment