Monday, February 14, 2011

happy V. D. to all, & to all a good night

I went to work at Publix at 7:00 this morning, and clocked out at 7:12p.m. It was a really loooonnnng day, and my feets are reallly tired. But as the day progressed, I realized that when you are busy, and don't have the time to look at your watch every thirty seconds wondering: 'is it time to go home yet?', time seems to sprout feathers, and it is not such a chore as when it seems to do when you have lead weights tied around your ankles and the hands on the clock seem to be going backwards.

I don't know if the boss will think it was a 'successful' day (and thankfully the way they judge 'success' is vastly different from the way I desire to be remembered in history!) but at one point the dept. manager walked by and told us that our receipts as items scanned through the registers exceeded the amount that had been sold by the meat department: and you cannot eat roses, either the cash'n' carry variety or the 'dozens in a vase'. So I guess the management will eventually evaluate it as a profitable day, for which I am thankful, since it is the P&L/make-or-break day for floral sales.

I told them when I left, after putting in over twelve hours that all I wanted was for them to remember, and appreciate that I was there when it was Crunch Time.

Actually, what I am thinking is: what is wrong with those guys? Don't they know we would rather have the $20 or $30 or $40 to spend on ourselves than have something that will be in the trash by the end of the week? What is it with guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment