Thursday, July 5, 2018

my favorite patriot...

... would have to be my dad. I still think of him every day, but especially on holidays that involve flag waving, military/martial music, fireworks, parades with marching bands and kids on bicycles with paper streamers woven into the spokes of the tires, red-white-and-blue bunting hanging from front porches and lamp posts. All the things that indicate an opportunity to be thankful for living in America - make me think of him and his service to country. The blessings of living under the US Constitution that even allows people to gripe about the constitutional rights of others.

The ring tone on my phone is a John Phillip Sousa march: Stars and Stripes Forever. Those close to me know what a flag-waver I am. A box came last week from Amazon: a dozen flags to put on your vehicle. I put two on mine, and offered the remainder to The Man Who Lives Here. I was surprised to find he had put one on his truck when he came home yesterday. The others he took with him to his 'job', when he was volunteering at the National Infantry Museum on July 4. I told him he should take them when he went to 'work' and give them away. I guess I thought he might be able to share them with visitors when they came in the door. But he said they were gone in about thirty seconds: given to fellow volunteers.

I suggested since it was such a roaring success, he should get more to give away. He seemed to think the only reason people wanted them was because it was Independence Day. I said that people who are patriotic flag-waving fools (without mentioning any names) will love the flag just as much on July 5 as they do on July 4. Plus people will always take anything free!


When I recently went to south GA., I went by the cemetery for a short visit. Put out silk flowers in the little granite containers after I had someone go out and pressure wash the slabs/stones that had discolored over time. The ones for grandparents are sunflowers and red hibiscus, auntie is roses and daisies, and my parents - red, white, blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment