Wednesday, July 25, 2018

a little epiphany occurred...

... today when I was pondering what to do about the printer that is connected to a  home computer. Every time I think about it, I find myself saying: 'arggghhhh.' Then I realize: it's only a printer. What's the big deal? The Big Deal is: convenience.

Several weeks ago, it started acting mule-ish. Wanting me to believe it was time for a feeding: reporting that a new ink cartridge was in order, and did I want to order/purchase the one available at an inflated price from the manufacturer of the printer. We already had our own in stock, from the store that will refill and recycle. But when that was installed the printer failed to produce, was still uncooperative and balky. Reporting that the generic was not satisfactory, trying to make me believe only the authentic, name brand product would suffice. Argggghhhh.

In an effort to show solidarity, I returned the generic cartridge to the locally owned, independent shop where it was purchased. They, surprisingly, happily refunded my money (thanks to me having the unlikely foresight to save my receipt!). I went to Office Depot (where they should all know my name by now!) and purchased the part the printer/robot was demanding. It still won't work. By now, I am more than a little peeved. At the lack of cooperation, and stubborn ways of the machine: causing steam to issue forth from my ears like a cartoon.

The printer has actually been on a little excursion to the repair shop. Went to the place where I purchased the generic replacement, but the guy there, Benjamin, said it was not fix-able. The Man Who Lives Here insisted it needs to go to a computer repair person he knows. So it went from shop A to shop B. Where it now gathers dust of a different variety than what it would be found here.

All this to say: what's the big deal? It is a black plastic box with innards and computer chips, a cord to connect it to a power source. In reality: a convenience, and most definitely not a necessity. Clearly a first world problem. No where near as troublesome as needing fresh water, food or shelter.  Nothing about an uncooperative printer causes me to wonder where the next meal is coming from, or how we will pay for that bountiful electricity that runs all the mod.cons. currently spinning, sloshing or cooling, drying clothing in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment