Saturday, July 14, 2018

4:24 + tired = 5:00...


... as in 'It's Five O'clock Somewhere." I went to work at 4:45 a.m., left at 1:30 p.m., and thought I was going to the pool. But it was closed due to a swim meet. What crummy luck: I have such a hard time getting there, generating the motivation, knowing I will have to change clothes twice in order to swim/exercise for thirty minutes. It is frustrating and  distressing to finally get organized enough to show up and find the pool not available for the public.

So I took myself to Wally-world and walked around the store for half an hour. Laugh if you must, but it is not really a difficult trek, few people along the outside edges of the aisles, climate controlled, easy to make a few circuits to get in thirty minutes of exercise. Plus I picked up a few things I would have had to go back to the store/workplace to get before coming home. Adding some cash  to recharge my gas/gift card and filled up before I left the parking lot.

One of the reasons to go to Wally-world was to replace the clock that has been on the wall in the kitchen for twenty years. It literally jumped off about a week ago, and quit working. I was optimistic, sadly misplaced, thinking a fresh battery would give a new lease on life. The Man Who Lives Here put in his two cents worth and commented that it would not work lying prone on the counter top and had to be upright. So it has spent the past week in the infirmary, standing on edge in the dish drain. Where it has been perpetually 11: 26 (a.m. or p.m., your choice!) for an entire week. I must now reluctantly report removing the  nearly new AA battery yesterday, when I decided to put it out of it's misery.

And should have just added it to the bins that went out by the street for recycling: it's mostly plastic and would, I assume, be something the city workers would sort and figure out what to do with it. I was hoping to find a new one at the discount store, but could  not find another wall clock, or any one to ask where they might be located. The last time I was looking for something and asked a guy in a blue vest, he said I had to order on line, but could have it delivered to the store to pick up. I have no idea how many times I have looked at that blank spot on kitchen wall in the past week, but if I was Superman with x-ray vision, there would most certainly be a hole in that spot from so many fruitless glances each day.

By the time I finally got home after errands, a failed trip to the pool, early voting at the citizens center, Wally-world, Just A Buck, it was 4:24, which was, in my opinion, close enough to five o'clock to begin happy hour. I needed to get an early start on that, in order to get into bed and get up to do it all again at four a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment