Friday, July 6, 2018

do not give...

... me any plants. I spent hours today digging and planting. Even though I find that process to be generally therapeutic, I do  not want anyone to even think about putting more plants in  my life. It was a very productive day, getting lots of holes dug and various growing things that had been semi-neglected, lingering around for weeks or possibly months. A few were excess from the botanical gardens plant sale in the spring, when a fellow gardener dug up things growing in abundance and put them in pots to sell for the suckers who thought they needed to give more attention to their home landscaping. She offered me lambs' ear and some yellow iris that were left, orphans. I got most of it in the ground.

I had several pots of milk weed started from seed a couple of years ago that are planted now. I had read that it is really difficult to transplant, and does not easily survive being relocated. Making me reluctant to even try. But knowing it would not do well indefinitely in containers made me think: haven't lost anything. It's not something deer usually eat, but apparently the tender young leaves and buds were so delightful I might not have any blooms this year. Really surprised when I went out recently to observe, hoping it had bloomed, and discovered it was chomped off instead. It is a well established plant, that I optimistically purchased potted and diligently nursed once it was in the ground. With the additional three planted nearby, I hope to have good crop of bright orange blooms in the future to attract Monarch butterflies that love milk weed the very best.

Also planted some gerbera daisies that I think are rescued from going in the trash at work. When they are not blooming,, it is time to say good-by. No one will purchase if they cannot tell what color the flowers are - plus by the time the bloom fades, the plant is looking so bedraggled it is too far gone to sell. I put them in a spot that gets plenty of sun, and with some water and feeding hope they will recover and show off - provided the deer don't enjoy them before I do!

Some small pots of bee balm that were bought months ago at a garden shop and then profoundly neglected. Allowed to dry out, over watered, left to get too dry, soaked until soggy, dried out again, left sitting in a bucket to get root rot, mistreated, ignored, over-watered, ignored, and now finally planted like I should have done when purchased. Bee balm is another thing pollinators really like, so I hope to be a more responsible bee balm owner and nurture to make friends with the bees and butterflies.

Several of those things that were in need of attention today were indoor plants that were put out when the weather warmed, and since ignored. They had gotten buggy, with holes in the leaves, and beat up from several frog-strangling rains we've had lately. They got fresh dirt (my secret recipe) and a good soaking to settle them in and will go back in the house where they no longer need to fear having all their dirt washed out and roots exposed from pounding storms.

Along with all that: lots of tree trash picked up, as it is an ongoing project that will never end in  my lifetime. Empty plastic pots going in the recycle bin, piles of sticks to load up and wheel up to the side of the street for city truck. I want to get everything in the ground, watered well and established so it can become independent and take care of itself. Please do not give me any more stuff to feed and water,  plants that need care and affection, nurturing, cultivating and support. Even though it was a Very Productive Day, there were times I had to come inside to drink water, cool off, thinking I was so stinking hot I would explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment