Wednesday, July 4, 2018

another drive ...

...across south Georgia on Tuesday. Got up at 5 a.m., to shower and get on the road for Valdosta at 6 o'clock. The auntie had a doctor appointment mid-afternoon, and I had plans for several stops before getting her to the follow-up office visit at 3:00. I have spent a good bit of time trying to get paperwork in order, documentation assembled to provide report for probate court that has to be submitted on an annual basis. I had no idea this undertaking was going to be so complicated and laborious.

Having no math skills, as well as no hesitation in admitting I am hopelessly math-impaired, much of the effort has been put forth by friend P. who continually amazes me. She can do math in her head that I am not sure I could complete with a calculator in hand. I know that we all have different gifts, skill-sets and abilities. Continually thankful that we are not all clones, and each of us have individual traits that complement others. Just thankful that there is someone in my life who is not intimidated by numbers, willing to pitch in to help me understand and accomplish what is expected as Guardian for the auntie!

After making two trips to Office Depot to use the copier, make duplicates of all the paperwork we have completed, as well as many copies of all the statements and financial documents received over the past twelve months, I thought I had it all together. Consulted P. and we went over all the paperwork to be sure I had everything, assembled in the proper sequence, and filled out with a gazillion numbers. Expecting to get to downtown Valdosta in time to go to the government building and deliver all my paperwork to the Probate office, I was up early on Tuesday. More than ready to get all this tedious stuff out of my life. It has been very educational: I am already thinking of ways to make the process easier and less daunting for next June.

I forgot the entire packet of papers. I was so busy trying to put everything in my car: purchases for the auntie, reading material I wanted to take to her, info. for the doctor's appointment, a gas fill-up, a chair to be repaired. I failed to put the bag I was using to corral folders in the car. About eight o'clock, two hours in to the three hour drive, I began to think: what did I do with her checkbook? I knew she would have a co-pay at the doctor's office, and I could not remember putting the check book in the car. When I stopped, and looked in the back: I said several bad words. Actually one bad word, several times.

And considered, for about three seconds, turning around to go back and get the folders and checkbook. But did not want to make the six hour trip into a ten hour drive. So... will just put everything in the mail tomorrow. I wanted to go to the Probate office - just for them to see my face, and remember me. As in how: you never go into the bank building any more, either banking on line, or whizzing through drive-in tellers.  Then, when you need to do business, no one knows who you are. Maybe next June...

No comments:

Post a Comment