Tuesday, November 11, 2014

travelin' south, east, south....

...is what happened when I left Chattanooga mid-afternoon on Sunday. Went to church and had a pizza for lunch with the folks in TN, then started back to Atlanta. I planned to spend the night in Decatur then drive up to SC on Monday. So I won't include the miles I drove on Sunday afternoon to the final figure: 406, which is my total for yesterday, starting at 6 a.m., and finally getting home at 9:00 to unload and fall into bed.

Had a good visit with my pen pal in SC, but sad that I did not have time to veer off to the south and visit with cuzzin who lives down towards Columbia. I'll have to do that on a Saturday, when she is not working. I will go and spend the day, we will have time to visit, poke around little towns in the area, and find some good places to eat. Or just sit on the couch and talk/laugh/reminisce.

I knew better: but did it anyway. Left Greenville about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, with full knowledge that traffic in the vicinity of Atlanta would be awful. I was hopeful that I could at least get through the worst of it before it got too dark to see. Thinking I could tolerate either the vehicular congestion or the darkness, but not both at the same time. When I got to the perimeter road: thousands of people in a hurry, we all slowed considerably, so that was actually in  my favor. My stress level gets even higher when I am compelled to travel at a high rate of speed just to keep from getting runned over. High speed bumper cars is not  my idea of fun.

So I stopped in Decatur, to get a bite to eat, and let all those thousands have time to get the worst of it sorted out amongst themselves. Which caused me to be later getting home, but decreased the stress level dramatically.  My new'ish Toyota was getting really good mileage out on the interstate highway: average mpg: 48-50. Plus the gas in SC is always a bit lower, so I stopped and filled up on  my way back to GA, where I had noticed it was $2.55/gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment