Sunday, March 27, 2011

all certified (or certifiable?)

I found out that I was scheduled to work yesterday (Sat.) and Mon., after I signed on to go to CSU to take a free ARC CPR class to get recertified for rescuing. I hope I don't ever have an opportunity to use it: but think I am mostly prepared/ready if the occasion should arise, especially since we were all reminded that we are covered by the states' Good Samaritan Law. So I went in at 7, left at 8:30 after having been there for 90 minutes, taking a 3 1/2 hour lunch break. The whole time I was gone, was wondering why the employer is not interested in having workers trained to provide assistance for this type thing? I'm the one who made the suggestion years ago that they could let employees take an hour of paid time to go to the Red Cross and donate a pint of blood. Of course, they would be willing for you to do things that make them look like good corporate citizens,and are all about having employees volunteer to support United Way, March of Dimes walk, Partnerships in Education, etc., but not at the expense of taking an hour that you could be working. Just heard a sermon this morning that was a great affirmation of my below the radar 'Laundry Minstry': so the person who goes in the kitchen at church every week and takes the dirty towels home to wash, dry, fold and return finally feels like someone notices there are always clean towels in the basket that are apparently used to mop the floor. To say nothing of those forty (yes: 40) tablecloths from a big dinner the church sponsored about a month ago that had been languishing in garbage bags for a week that I took to the laundro-mat and spent fifty dollars in quarters washing and drying to fold and return clean, ready to re-use. Worst part was all the folding! :( note to daughters: Someone is always watching what you do, and thinking: your actions are much louder than your voice... I am starting to sound like my mother!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment