Wednesday, March 16, 2011

what would you do? (WWJD?)

After I took the S-i-l to her Dr. appt. on Tuesday, I wanted to run by the church to take some clean towels back to the kitchen. When we drove up in the parking lot, there was a woman standing in the misting rain on the curb, appearing to be waiting for someone/something to happen. A church staff member came out of the building as I pulled up and said the woman on the curb needed a ride to a store down the street (where I just conveniently happen to be employed and planned to drive by) so I said I would provide the transportation, if she would take clean laundry into the kitchen.

The woman got in the car, explaining her car was broken, and started telling us that she was going to try to find her friend at work and ask to borrow enough money to pay for the family to spend the night at Motel 8. I told her I would provide the money, and would take her whereever she needed to go.

She had me take her to the motel, I went in to give my $25 to the desk clerk, and she admitted that she really needed $35, so I coughed up another ten. I got my receipt, and was walking out when she then asked me if she could get a ride to the nearest Waffle House to get her three daughters some sausage biscuits for breakfast.

So we did, and left her there. And immediately started counting out blessings on the way back to the house. I am still counting, and realize they are really too numerous to begin listing, but here's the Short List:
I am thankful for a roof over my head, without worrying about how to pay for it.
I am thankful for no concerns about where the next meal is coming from.
I am thankful for a car that will take me anyplace I want to go, and the ability to refill the gas tank when needed.
I am thankful for a man who provides, and has never mistreated me.
I am thankful for having financial security, no anxiety over money.
I am thankful for health.
I am thankful for healthy happy daughters who have a sense of success and accomplishment in their daily lives.

Now I know that even though she told me she was working and had received/deposited a paycheck, she could not access the cash for another 24 hours, to be able pay her motel bill, she also told someone else at the church that same story last week. So there is more, much more to the story than I am privy to, even though she talked continually the whole time we were in the car. And I'm not sure how much of the information I got was accurate/truthful in the telling.

I decided to not feel buffaloed or b.s.'d, but choose to feel like I happened along, was in the right place at the right time, to help someone in a pinch. Especially with young dependent daughters who were waiting for mom to come back and provide for their needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment