Tuesday, March 22, 2011

funny? yes. embarassing? probably

I went to the coast yesterday to visit a friend. On the way across the state, I stopped when I noticed gas at a convenience store for fifteen cents less than it is here. Traveled down some pretty remote country roads, through some really pretty farm land before getting to I-16, then on to where it interesects with I-95.

Got to where the friend lives in a Methodist retirement center southwest of Savannah in Richmond Hill community, with plans to spend the night on her couch (in my trusty sleeping bag), did a bit of riding around, spent the night and started back home today.

I was obviously not paying close attention to the gas gauge: the little thing that beeps when you are getting seriously low came on, as I was tooling along with great plans to make it back to that curb store where the (relatively speaking) 'cheap' gas was 24 hours earlier. I got more and more anxious (plus of course, needed to pee) when I kept going and going and going without seeing anyplace to buy gas, and the Low Fuel beeper kept beeping and beeping and beeping. With me wondering if it would actually still 'go' on the batteries if there was no petro. in tank... up and down and up and down those steep hills near the Oconee through the middle of the state.

I saw a bunch of guys in yellow DOT trucks and was pondering stopping to ask for a gallon, but said: naaa - I can make it, then topped another hill with no curbstore in sight, and continued to fret... came to another intersection out in the middle of nowhere, with no curbstore in sight, and continued to fret... passed a golf course and thought: hmmmm - they use gas in their weedwhackers and lawnmowers, and said: naaa.... I can make it, then continued to be antsy and anxious. Came to another intersection, with no pumps, and finally made a U-turn and went back to throw my foolish self on the mercy of the groundskeeper at the golf course. The guy in the pro shop laughed and said there is a gas station about a mile up the road, but gave me a gallon anyway.

And said: 'don't pay for it, just pass it on'.

The moral to this story is: there are definite limits to the benefits of frugality.

And when I did get to the CS that was really several miles away, gas had gone up 6 cents since yesterday. But I did FILL it UP. And thankful for not having to be frugal/foolishly trying to save pennies.

No comments:

Post a Comment