Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy new opportunities to do better...

I've been reading lately during the season of beneficience and generosity about lots of places one could make a meaningful contribution, sending donations to make a difference, providing cash infusions to change the world one person at a time.

I am very thankful for the gifts I received that are not actually something I will use: donations to the Heifer project of funds to help folks in developing nations become self-sufficient, while providing food, and support to the families who will receive livestock. And those sweet Florida friends, who give donations toward 'nothing but nets' to provide a safe sleeping environment in places that are otherwise havens for malaria-infested mosquitos.

We've all got more than enough 'stuff'. It is so gratifying to have an opportunity, even in a vicarious fashion, to be part of lifiting up those who are struggling in other parts of the planet, while we enjoy all the advantages, benefits and consumer-products available for consumption here in our glutton-ous country. (did I just make up a new word?!)

The latest 'opportunity' I read about: was in the Valdosta State University Alum newsletter, a multi-page, glossy publication that promotes the school in various ways, provides info. for vastly scattered grads, and, as usual, offers multiple opportunities to support foundations, alumni programs and scholarship giving. The most interesting was a non-profit a graduate started that helps to provide potable water to impoverished communities. If you don't have water to drink, cook, wash your children, I can readily see that nothing else matters. I have not done any research, but think it sounds like an interesting project. Check if out: defythirst.org

My people in Chattanooga and Decatur make micro-loans through: kiva.org. And will eventually get that investment back, so if you want to make the gift, with 'strings attached' (or more accurately a bungee cord) that is an option...

I'm counting my blessings. This is not necessairily a 'resolution' but something that I want to make a consistent effort to be more aware of... since we all have so, so, so many reasons to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment