Sunday, December 26, 2010

Wear your pj's to school day?

Neither did I: but when I got there to subsitute teach as the para-pro. in the Kindergarten classroom, the teacher and most of the kids were wearing flannel or thermal pajamas. I wish I had known... it would have saved me a lot of time getting dressed before I left the house, running late, with my shirt-tail flapping.

That teacher was absoultely fearless: she turned twenty kids loose with little tubs of icing and popsicle sticks with instructions to cover half-pint milk cartons with the icing so they could attach squares of graham crackers and all manner of marshmallows, candy, peppermint candy canes, to make them look like gingerbread houses. I am still wondering what her day would have been like if I had not showed up to clean up the remarkable mess they made: they were literally wearing that icing. I dont' think they actually consumed much - it just did not occur to them to lick their fingers! But they did get it all over their hands, in their hair, smeared on tables and chairs... really amazing...

While they were watching 'The Polar Express' movie after the lunch they did not eat, the teachers were bagging up a pile of goodies parents had sent, so each child went home with about two pounds of cookies, candy, popcorn, etc., leaving me very thankful they had not had a 'party' and consumed that two pounds of sugar before they left school - in addition to some remarkably sticky 'gingerbread houses' that we put in gallon zipper bags to send home for future consumption.

I've already got a couple of subsituting days lined up for January... since my work schedule at Publix has tapered down to nearly nothing, I'll be figuring out some other ways to keep myself occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment