Thursday, January 27, 2011

unfunny in a funny way, or maybe not...

I had three days of sub. teaching last week, that I should be ashamed of taking the school district's money for 'working'. But I was there, and I will happily take the funds: even though it takes nearly two months after the work has been done for the process to wend it's way from the work site through the payroll dept. and land in my checking account.

The jobs I have been on this week, that I was really anxious about and kept thinking to myself that I should just call the computer back and 'return' the days to the system and let someone else pick them up - they were surprisingly easy. At one of the magnet elementary schools in classrooms of teachers who are so experienced with classes so well trained there were no problems. I told the staff person who took me to the classroom that I was really concerned about whether I could handle the class: she was very reassuring, but I was not reassured. One of the days was with third grade, the other with fourth graders, and they were both remarkably easy. So much that I told the fourth grade kids that was likely the best day I had ever had working as a substitute.

The same cannot be said for the first grade job I accidently had today. I did not have an assignment when I went to bed, but knew I would wake up at 5:00 am, so decided I would get up at call at 5:30 before the computer started trying to find teachers for the day. I didn't find anything at all, so was lazing around in my pj's at 8:30, when a school called saying a first grade teacher was out sick. So I thought: "Well, yeah... go in at 9:15, enjoy the day while the person in the classroom who knows the schedule, knows the kids, knows the way the classroom is set up, and how they act handle them...let the aide manage the show, and I will be there to 'assist',out of there at 2:30. That's easy enough!"

I got there about 9:30, and tried to create order from chaos. It was not a successful venture. When I finally got them all squared away, on the bus, in line for day care or parental pick-up, I left and came straight home to take three extra strength Tylenol. And told the people here that "if I were I drinking man, I would be having something cold and tall". I'd assumed that since it was a first grade that there would be a para-pro. in the room. Wrong. Just thinking about what a chaotic day it was makes my head ache again.

And I have already turned down two jobs for Friday. I think I need a Mental Health Day, or maybe a Mental Health week/month?

No comments:

Post a Comment