Saturday, December 4, 2010

what to do with leftover 'stuff'...

Someone grew up, got married and moved away, but failed to take all her stuff.

The stuff included a big box full of Christmas ribbon, and bows she had tried to sell at the consignment store where she worked several years ago, prior to the above sentence. I would periodically, usually during the wrong season, come across that box full of Christmas ribbon, and think: too valuable to trash, but what to do?

I actually fluffed them up and took them to the craft sale at church several weeks ago, but no one even bothered to get close enough to look at them, or ask about price... not knowing I would have said: 'Free! How many do you want?!?!'

A very smart, remarkable thinker/friend suggested taking the bows to a Christmas Tree sales lot in early December and offering to sell them to go on their fresh greenery wreaths. I tried, and sold six to the man down the street (who said he did not want to buy any because his wife had gone to buy some rolls of ribbon and she was an 'experienced' bow-tie-er.) That so surprised me, to have someone buy half of the boxfull that! So: like an idiot, I came home and made more bows.

And went to other tree lots to try to peddle the new ones today. With no success. One girl said 'we make our own', and bit my tongue instead of saying, 'yes, but they are tacky'.

So I decided I would just put them out on the tree out near the street (that same tree where the Easter eggs are still hanging) and make a sign that states: Bows for sale. If I make any money, I will be happy. If someone comes by and takes all my bows, I will be slightly sad about the Grinch, but happy the bows are gone.

If you want to know my street address, so you can come and load up on 'free' bows, you can send me an email, since I do not know how to check for comments here?

No comments:

Post a Comment