Friday, February 26, 2010

Weekend Agenda

There's a lot of stuff on my calendar for the next couple of days: starting yesterday! It looks like I get myself so involved in various and sundry activities, I would not have time to actually 'attend' in the unlikely event I should have steady employment. And there are barely words to express how much I appreciate the fact that I am not out there with so many others, looking for work, or searching for something more meaningful or fulfilling. I have probably refused a dozen substitute teaching jobs this week, as I find myself so thoroughly occupied, I have not had a day this week when it was convenient for me to accept employment.

I went down/Uptown to the monthly meeting of the MasterGardening group at noon on Thursday, and then to be a volunteer body with the same folks at a school district event in the afternoon. MCSD has an annual Teacher Expo. where teachers and vendors set up displays, tri-boards, demo., handouts to provide other teachers with ideas for classroom projects. New ways of seeing how to inspire learing of various subjects at all levels. Like using fruit roll-ups, jellybeans, and twizzlers to replicate a skeleton: after ID'ing all the parts, you get to eat your body! Home-made board games for reinforcing learning, tricks to catch interest, 3-D visuals to capture their attention. Lots of creativity on display. I was there with the Botanical Gardens, giving teachers info. about hands-on field trips the schools, or scouts, or daycare programs can come and get educated while having fun.

Today: an afternoon of volunteering with the Sports Council for softball competition at South Commons. College level teams from all over the US, here for an Invational tourmanent to start their spring season. I see the high temp. is expected to be in the mid-50's so I am planning to layer on the layers, and have my toes crossed (while I am typing with my fingers) that my assignment will be a job out of the wind. It looks bright and clear out there: looks like a gorgeous day, but the wind chill can be numbing.

Then going with friends tonight to see an amateur play at the Family Theater.

Tomorrow will be training for a volunteer weekend in March, then assisting a co-worker from Publix with decorating for a family wedding. I also accidently got drafted into attending the wedding in the late afternoon, to help with the food serving, though I told her I don't do 'dress up'. She said I would be o.k. in kahkis. It should be very interesting, and probably a little rowdy.

Working at Publix on Sunday after church... then another week of: being cheerfully unemployed :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment