Monday, February 1, 2010

Counting Blessings, again

Just about the time I went to sleep last night, after having gone to bed
'way too early, because I was cold and through with the day: the telephone rang. It was daughter #1, asking me to go get a friend she only slightly/vaguely keeps in touch with from highschool days. The friend has a history of struggling to deal with personal/family problems. Daughter wanted me to bring the friend from Columbus to meet her in Newnan so she could take Friend to a clinic for substance abuse treatment.

I got up, put on my clothes, and went across town to get her, drove to Newnan, and got back into bed about 12:30, having prayed for the better part of two hours while driving, asking for deliverance for this young woman who has been beset by demons for years. So though you don't know her: please keep V. in your thoughts and prayers, as I know she will not have the strength to do it on her own. She is in desperate need of healing and peace.

Well: am SO thankful that is not my girl. I am SO thankful that they have not chosen to go down that road. I am SO thankful I did not self-destruct. (I do wish I now had all those brain cells I selfishly, unthinkingly destroyed.) I am SO thankful that I raised up a generation that cares enough to be there, available to step up, with the hearts to care and desire to help.... And truthfully thankful that the Friend was willing to make the call to someone who had the ability, heart, desire to respond to her need/plea for 'throw me a line, I am drowning!'

When He said: "What ARE you doing?" My response had to be: if that were my girl I would want someone to do whatever was in their power to save her... how could I NOT step in when the call came?

The sun is shining, the sky is blue, God is Good...

No comments:

Post a Comment