Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What it's Not is Valentine's Day

I worked more hours in six days over this past weekend than I have in the past six months at Publix. The new guy, Produce Manager, kept asking if I was tired. I'm not sure if he was just being kind and chatty, or had doubts: but I had to respond with 'of course not, No, I'm good, etc.' And finally I told him after about the fourth time that I knew the secret to being on your feet for eight hours a day is to keep busy, and just plow on through to the end of the field, one row at a time.

And after a day of Not doing it, I'm mostly recovered. Have already had two calls from the school system, that I just kinda 'hung up' on, refusing in an off-hand way, so if the computer calls back with something different/better I might go. Or might not.

The home Bible study/Community group I attend on Tuesday nights was having a 'hail and farewell' for a couple who is moving to the west coast soon. So we did not actually get better educated/informed/holier last night, but did have 'way too much to eat. I made a carrot cake (thought I had forgot how: it's been many years since I grated the three cups of carrots required to stir and bake a birthday cake with that lick-your-fingers cream cheese icing) and black-eyed pea salad, and Fran's famous Confetti Cornbread muffins. The male part of the departing couple claims to be a vegetarian, so we struggled as a group to produce things that would both satisfy his desires for no meat, and satisfy in general. Carrot cake it is! I truly believe with enough imagination, discussion, creative thinking, one could possibly find the entire Food Pyramid in a slice....

No comments:

Post a Comment