Saturday, March 6, 2010

Working: just a little bit....

I worked at Publix four days this week: the most I have been on the schedule except for the days surrounding Feb. 14 in over a year. I won't even attempt to impress you or flatter myself by saying it's because I am so gifted and in such great demand. The truth is that they were so 'short' and under-staffed, if I had not been available they would have be drafting any of the people under the bridge who could pass the 'sniff' test.

There is a new guy in the produce department. I think the management periodically does this "stir 'em with a stick" thing to all five stores in town so no one gets too comfortable or complacent. It gives them a chance to see if the guys the are transferring across town, or to a store in Montgomery (a three hour daily commute)are willing to take their crap. Or greedy enough to feel like it's worth it. I do think that several people, who are apparently part of the 'Fran Cheer Squad', have told this new guy that he should schedule me to work Sundays so he won't have to do the work himself, in addition to all the other stuff he has to get accomplished.

I should probably be feeling badly about working on Sundays. But I choose to think that Publix can be my little 'ministry': I will go to early church, and then take Jesus with me to the marketplace, and spread a little joy/sunshine to all customers and fellow employees.

Funny: just today at lunch we were wondering if I should plan to start doing this every week. I did Sundays and Mondays for years, but as a part-time worker, when the economy went bust, I was one of the first ones to become 'dispensable'.
I am not really so opposed to working on Sunday:
1.)Preachers do it all the time!
2.)It gives me a little pocket change, jingle for the occasional trip to TacoBell.
3.)I want to be at home on Sunday: in my place with a smile on my face at 9:00.
4.)Sunday work won't disrupt all the travelling I schedule during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment