Friday, December 14, 2018

you know...

... that song the kids sing in the back seat, second only to the endless one about bottles of beer? I am thinking of how 'the ants go marching one by one' ad nauseum, as the little ones securely strapped down in close quarters do their best to make you bat-crazy before you can get them out of the vehicle! I'm having some of that in the privacy of my own home, without ever having to get dressed and go anyplace to loose my mind.

The ant invasion is still awful, overwhelming and making me more than a little nuts. I have been spraying straight, full strength ammonia on them as they trail across just below the molding at the top edge of the wall, crossing vast distances from the brick wall at the back of the fireplace as they make their pilgrimage towards a water source. Maybe the rains that started falling overnight will encourage them to beat a hasty retreat, and go back out into the cold of winter and seek sustenance elsewhere? Probably not, but a tempting thought to feel that the problem will resolve itself.

I don't recall precisely when this aggravation began, but it seems like about two weeks: when I got out the half full bottle of Windex, as the pest control guy told me to do. Spraying several times a day as the invaders formed a new battle plan, replacements began a fresh attack. Then I ran out of glass cleaner and went to buy a half gallon of straight ammonia to refill the bottle, continue to spray across the top of the wall, down into the sink where they were having a party. So frequently misting the encroaching insects, the walls now look like the ceiling leaks, with water stains all the way to the floor. Needing painting, and it's not over yet. I just looked at the receipt the man left, when he also left us $95 lighter and did not resolve the problem. After two calls for help were not returned or   acknowledged, I called another pest removal service yesterday. The new guy is coming today.

People are coming to visit, so I felt compelled to sweep up all the carnage. I got out the broom and dustpan early this morning, and honestly believe I disposed of ten thousand corpses, looking like someone had spilled a can of ground black pepper on the floor. I wanted to at least make an effort, as I have not swept them up for about a week, waiting for resolution, wanting to get them all at one time. Ha!

The latest steady stream was found as they were making a direct attack on the cupboard where the jars of peanut butter are stored. I now wish I had screwed the lids on tighter. But why would there be any reason to think with the top half-secured there was the remotest possibility of bugs being able to scrunch their way into the jar? They are nothing if not persistent. I left the ten thousand there on the shelf where I sprayed them for the newest guy to see when he comes to offer sympathy, condolences on the extent of this chronic problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment