Friday, December 28, 2018

if confession is good...

... for the soul, mine should be ready for the pearly gates. I did something really stupid recently and have had to recruit help to make it right. Meaning I was forced to confess to being inept, and get other people to jump in and resolve the problem. It was most certainly an educational experience: things that hit you in the checkbook tend to really get your attention. Plus  I expect to be pure as the driven snow when approaching St. Peter with his open book, pen in hand, just like in the cartoons.

I had my oil changed in my car last week. In recent years, I have been adding a little bottle of stuff to gas that is supposed to help clean your engine when you fill up the tank after an oil change. So I went to the store to get that little bottle with the long neck that would pour down into the tank when it got low and it was time to buy gas. I got the wrong thing. You see where this is leading, right? Down the path of destruction, where the little Toyota is doomed, headed straight for the scrap heap/recycling.

The stuff I purchased and forced down the tube that leads to the gas tank was meant to go in the engine, rather than fuel supply. It was verrrrry thick, viscous and reluctant to simply pour into the tank as the bottles purchased in the past have easily done. That should have been an obvious indicator that I was making a serious mistake. It was a different brand from the ones used in the past that would have a popular, commonly recognized label like STP. But I thought that the difference was just in the particular brand I had purchased. Really slow going down the gullet leading into the tank.

Then I tried to pump gas in there, which was the actual reason for the stop. But that thick, nearly solid liquid was so glutinous it did not flow on down into the quarter of a tank of gas that was there. When I put the nozzle from the pump into the outlet for fuel, gas was not flowing downhill. It splashed back out of the opening. My next thought was: Oh, S#!t. I got the little bottle of 'conditioner' and read the label that indicated the thick, honey-like material should be added to the motor when the oil is changed, rather than trying to put in gas tank.

I debated with myself about driving on home, only about three miles from that Murphy Gas near Wally world. I had to get home, so drove on to the house, and parked it. Sharing my dilemma with people who are mechanically minded, and would have sound advice. The general consensus being that it would 'probably' not be a problem, as it was petroleum based, with the most likely problem being lots of carbon in the exhaust. But still concerned that driving pell-mell in my usual fashion would cause permanent damage I did  not want to contend with.

I fretted and regretted and fretted some more throughout the day on Tuesday, when I could not actually do anything to resolve the problem other than have it occupy every alternate thought during waking hours. Had to go to work early on Wednesday, and knew I would have to start the process of resolution.  I finally decided I did not need to devote any more of my time to worrying this particular bone. Called a family friend, told him my tale of woe, and said I would like to turn it over to you.

I knew I should call a tow truck rather than drive it another inch, but could not do that until I knew the final destination. The friend was willing to let me dump my foolish behavior into his lap, and was able to find a business that would remove the tank, empty, clean and replace. It seems to be running OK, and a relief to drive after spending time in that huge pick up truck that I need a ladder to access.
I had a friend take me downtown to pick it up, and return home, without incident.

I am hopeful there will not be any long term effects, and the problem is 100% solved.I failed to ask if the repair guy checked fuel pump or filters, and will give a call to confirm it has been given a clean bill of health. I am nearly $200 lighter after that ill-fated $3 bottle of gunk went into my tank. Expensive lesson I will certainly not forget.

Plus I do so hate to admit to doing something stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment