Saturday, December 22, 2018

'those people are coming'...

... causing me to do a minimal amount of house cleaning, as well as some work in the kitchen. Neither occurs here often. Home maintenance has never been my strong suit, though I have done it most of my life, first as a drudge in my parent's home, the price paid for shelter, food, clothing, transportation, and various amenities. We have been in this creaking, slowly settling house for thirty-seven years, and as you might expect there is always something in need of attention. Much benign neglect is obvious as a result of there being only two people here - neither of which is inclined toward vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing, window washing, etc.
 
But with the expectation of guests for lunch, I have been trying to make us look relatively presentable, plus prepare a meal to share. My peeps should know by now that one of my most favorite things in life is the time we are all sitting down sharing a meal, and to partake around the table I grew up with makes it even more special. When I had to empty all the furniture out of my parents home, a trip with a rental van brought several pieces of sentimental value here to live with me. One is this big oval table, with six spindle back chairs. I thought there were eight, remembered from childhood, but we will make do. The table was hand made by a local craftsman, a small weathered man who looked at least one hundred when I was a child, so I am sure he is no longer here with us. It is round, to seat four, but was designed to expand with the addition of rectangular 'leaves' added in the middle to make it oval, easily seating eight.

I've a pot of soup at a low simmer. It has been in the fridge a couple of days, as giving the flavors a chance to mingle and mature makes it even better. There is a big chocolate chip cookie in a pizza pan. Then there is the recipe I found when someone dumped out my entire recipe box and I had to go through, sort and put about one-third in the trash earlier in the week. The one I have not made in years, and sort of forgot about is a ham and cheese hot sandwich. You have to make bread dough, roll it out and sprinkle diced ham and shredded cheese. I remember it being pretty good, and think I made it several times before young adults left home, but have not made it in years.

~ ~ ~ Later that same day: 'those people' did come. Soup was eaten, sandwich enjoyed, cookie consumed. Daughters and in-laws came and spent the afternoon. Sadly, they spent about half the time they were here entertaining each other with funny stories and remembrances of childhood mishaps, vacations gone awry, because the guy they came to see was gone to bed. We ate lunch and then he crashed. I enjoyed time with them - they are good entertainment - and he finally woke up, to spend a little time before they went their separate ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment