Wednesday, November 7, 2018

living in...

... the land of the free and the home of the brave comes with obligations.If you did not exercise your rights on Nov. 6, you do not get to gripe about what choices the majority of the citizens made. I had the best intentions about getting to the polls early. Meant to take advantage of the opportunity to go to the Citizens Service Center and cast my ballot over several weeks prior to the actual official Election Day. But I dragged my feets, and though there were literally weeks of opportunity, it didn't happen.

Meaning I had to go yesterday, and stand in line. A number of people who were already there, as well as many who came in behind me commented on how smart I was to have a book handy. I did  not tell them I always have reading material on hand. I did not say: "If I was really smart,I would not be here at all." I did not say "I started to do this last Friday, but the parking lot was so full I would not go and wait in line for two hours." I did  not ask: "Do you want me to read to you while we wait?" as many were scrolling through junk on their phones, or playing games on electronics whiling away the time.

The wait was only about thirty minutes. Which was not bad, due to the fact that I have been reading on a book that is hard to put down. Then I saw someone I know working the polls, so we started a conversation. I asked him how he got the job, and he responded it takes no skill. And the  most minimal of training. All he was doing was pointing the next patron in  line to the recently abandoned voting machine. Where you go and insert your card, make your choices, remove your card and return it to the poll worker, who then gives you a peach 'Georgia voter' sticker.

I surprised myself by going through the choices on the ballot and pretty much trying to put Democrats in all the jobs that were open for change. I tend to try to get the incumbents out, thinking anyone in office has gotten too comfortable, sitting in that cushy chair, living on government pay. I did  not realize so many of the people I am supporting with my tax dollars are fat-cat Republicans. Have not heard any news this morning. In fact have not heard a sound other than cars making their way down the street accelerating towards workplace. But I sincerely hope there were enough people who think it is time for a change that there will be new people in places of responsibility and decision making next year.

I saw a sign in front of a church recently that was very thought-y: If the Elephant and the Donkey have let you down, turn to the Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment