Monday, November 12, 2018

about that research...

... project appointment at Wesley Woods facility on the Emory University campus. All along I thought Emory was in Decatur, but when I put the address into my GPS to help me find the route, there was nothing there. Backed up and started again, asking it to find that same street address in Atlanta, and there it was! One of the questions the young man asked me as he administered all the preliminary evaluation is: 'do you know where we are?'  The first time I gave the wrong answer by saying Emory University, when the correct response was 'Atlanta', so now you know!

The study wants people who qualify to take a Rx that has been on the market for a number of  years, so this is not testing a new drug. I failed to ask what sort of response they expected from the advertisement in the Atlanta paper, so I don't know how many they are hoping to recruit. Apparently one of the primary requirements is that you would not be on any medications to control blood pressure. That is definitely me, as every time I have been someplace to be tested, mine tends to be on the low end.  Within normal, but towards the lower numbers. I don't think I have ever had anyone say it was high, or something I should be concerned about, always within normal range, and usually lower than what ever average is.

There has been some evidence that this already approved drug has some interesting side effects. I have read of meds. that might be prescribed 'off label' for some health matter different than what the drug was designed to do, and different from what the FDA approved. A prescription medication that provided some unexpected effect/improvement to a condition other than what the manufacturer had created it for. This particular study would be using  a BP med. called 'candesartan' to see if it might help with cognitive function. Apparently it has been found to improve thinking skills for people who might be showing signs of mild or early memory difficulties. 

So... being accepted into the study would definitely be a two-edged sword. I don't think I am having problems - any more severe than others my age, who stay busy and depend on a calendar to keep them headed in the right direction at the right time. One of the last things this young man/ researcher did before letting me go on Friday was to take several vials of blood, that will be evaluated in their lab, and likely the determining factor. I'm thinking they are looking for proteins in the blood, those markers that can be found as early signs of deterioration. I'm hoping I get rejected! I would be happy to be told I am not a good candidate as my thinking is too clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment