Monday, May 21, 2018

probate requires...

... that the person who has taken someone else on to raise make reports, provide updates about the welfare as well as financial status of the foster child. Due to the fact that I seem to have backed into accepting responsibility for my auntie, the requirement has fallen to me. Me who is profoundly and hopelessly math impaired, tragically disabled in the area of arithmetic. The last person anyone would ever seek out for any type of calculating problems or financial advice. Me. Required to prepare and submit a report to the Probate Court with documentation about the status of the auntie's funds, what her income and expenses are, to be inspected by the clerk of the Probate Judge.

I have lots of opinions and willingly share those thoughts with customers at work: let them know if there is any problem, doubt or concern about what to purchase, I will be happy to help.  As to the auntie, I feel I can attest to her physical status. The form for reporting has a number of pages with questions related to her physical and mental well-being. Where she is living, how involved she is with fellow residents, activity level/interactions with others. Plus inquiries about her mental health, which has improved somewhat since she has been living in a facility with round-the-clock care, three meals a day, and staffers that ensure various Rx are taken as needed.

It is difficult to say what she is like spending her days there, because the occasional calls I get are mostly frantic and frustrated when she is desperate for someone to rescue her from her situation. Feeling lost and wanting me to come and find her, when she claims to be in Macon, or Perry, or someplace in middle Georgia, miles from where she actually is when making the 'I've been cast adrift' call. I do hope the Rx she is given daily make her more tractable and easier to for the staff to live with on a day-to-day basis.

Pondered how to report on her mental, physical, emotional status. Completed all that paperwork last week, then re-read and reconsidered my opinions last night after looking at what I had written several days ago. I called my BFF to ask when she might be willing to look at all the documentation and help me put all the numbers down in the right sequence to fill in the blanks for probate. She came over after I got off work on Sunday afternoon. We, mostly she, spent hours and hours and hours juggling numbers to make the totals come out even. I did keep all sorts of receipts and bills, organizing in file folders, pretty easy to access. But much is guess work, trying to determine what she will need in the future versus what has occurred in the past. Looking at resources and trying to squint into the (non-existent) crystal ball at what might happen months from now.

Anything to do with numbers, figuring, adding, makes me uneasy. When my friend was adding things together, just looking at numbers and putting things together in her head: I was amazed that she did not need a calculator - how can people do that stuff in their brains? Mine is certainly not wired like that! I did  most of the guardian part, and the BFF did most of the financial/conservator part, so it is almost ready to submit. I will be supremely relieved when I can put it in the mail to the probate office. In their hands and out of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment